Artist #2 - Valerie Blessley


Happy holidays, everyone! I'm Valerie Blessley, showing work as a harpist and potter. By day, I teach Ceramics/Pottery and Black and White Film Photography at a high school in Vancouver. My clay work is created and sold under the name SAVI Clayworks.

In the evenings and on weekends, when I'm not in my art studio, I can also be found playing Celtic harp, Finnish kantele (zither), and woodwinds with Jennifer Pratt-Walter in our local harp duo, Celtic Muse. I also teach harp lessons to teens and adults. My husband, Dr. Mark Blessley, is my harp builder, and we produce instruments under the name of Blessley Instruments. A life of art and music is busy, but very gratifying.

When working in the clay studio, I like to make functional pottery that has a stylistic flair. You'll see a variety of items from my popular "Tea Bag Minders" to "Finial Jars," cheese & butter domes, and other fun and useful items. I'm heavily influenced by my Finnish background both in my ceramic work and in my music. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I am also drawn to the natural elements around my woodland studio location.


As a graduate of The University of New Mexico's Fine Arts department and as a working artist, I have come to love the richness of clay and the miracle of its transformation into stoneware. Working in clay has been a passion for me for over 20 years, and it continues to challenge and fascinate me. Its only competition is the playing harp, which is also a wonderful journey of 20+ years!

I look forward to meeting you at the Crafts Unlimited Holiday Boutique! Be sure to say hello, and let us know that you've visited the blog. I'll likely be playing a harp, flute or another instrument on Friday and Saturday. Don't worry about interrupting; we "pause" for sales and chats with our wonderful customers.
~Valerie
Artist #2 - Valerie Blessley Artist #2 - Valerie Blessley Reviewed by Unknown on 8:59 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.